Friday, December 22, 2017

Egalitarian

Image result for egalitarian   I'm an Egalitarian (if you have somehow been living beneath a rock and don't know what it means, please google it or ask in the comments before assuming things). I believe in the radical idea that all humans should be equal and have equal rights no matter what culture they are, the color of their skin, their beliefs or their genders. I don't care if you're a woman or a man or something in between, African American or South Korean, atheist, buddhist or a christian. I think everyone (everyone!) should have the same rights as everyone else. There isn't a country in the world where women shouldn't be able to drive, where people shouldn't be allowed to follow any religion they want or their culture should be respected. (And of course, I despise the people who see the rise of a strong movement, like womanism and #blacklivesmatter, and coming back with things like meninism and #alllivesmatter. Let people talk about positive change, for God's sake!)
   Somehow, after the progress of feminism, giving women the right to vote, to work and to have a general say in a lot of countries, despite the abolition of the slave trade in the British colonies stopping 200 years ago and another thousand efforts to stop racism and prejudice all around the world, the thought of people having equal rights is still radical. Women and men should both have the right to vote, women should not be judged for not wanting children. Christians and Atheists should be able to practice their beliefs side by side with Muslims and Buddhists (I don't care what your beliefs are, you should always be able to respect those of others!).
Image result for egalitarian   How can such an idea, that all people should be treated like people still be a radical idea? I just don't understand how the world can view this as such a drastic thing. It's 2017 for God's sake, isn't it time we start treating each other like humans?
   If I ever get the opportunity to improve the world (besides working towards a better environment, which I'll of course be doing) socially, economically and in the eyes of justice so that all of those who inhabit it. I want to improve my surroundings in every way that I can, even if it's as little as just a kind smile or as big as improving the current situation for several people around me. All I want to do is improve my surroundings for the better.
   However, I'm well aware that change doesn't happen overnight and it takes a lot of time, energy and engagement. The world has a lot of things to improve, and I believe that as part of that world, it is our duty to make the world around us better, brighter and happier for all of us.
(Image source: upper; Imgur, lower; Youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment