Tuesday, August 16, 2016

"Social Media Isn't a Job"

   So this is something me and other bloggers (yes, even though I don't do this as a job) hear a lot. Spending a lot of time on the Internet, this is a comment popping up on forums, youtube, blogs, instagram... And I just don't get it.
   First of all; these people do not have any kind of idea about the amount of time that goes into managing a large blog, a youtube channel or anything in that direction. For example; I spend around 3-4 hours on my blog, commenting, making posts, replying to feedback... And my blog isn't even large. The youtube videos I make (which are really simple, easy and not that complicated) take around 1-2 hours depending on the video to film, edit and upload. And for a professional, who actually makes a living from their social media, spend a lot more time on social media. For example: a youtuber does not only film, edit and upload videos, they read comments, tweets, reply to feedback, analyze statistics, discuss sponsorships, and spend tons of time making their material better and better all the time.
   And the word "job" is defined as a post of employment and "employment" is an occupation by which a person earns a living. And if you are a professional youtuber, you earn a living doing your youtube videos. If you are a professional blogger, you make a living writing posts and managing a blog.
   Just because working with social media, managing your accounts, videos or blogs are a new profession, it does not make it any more valuable or honorable. Personally, I think that no matter what you do (as long as you don't hurt anyone in the process), you are increadibly lucky if you do something that you love for a living.
   Just stop putting down people on the count of their career. What people do for a living is their choice, not yours and you shouldn't disrespect them because of that choice. If people are doing something that they love for a living, they are among a lucky few. If I ever, ever, end up doing something I really love as a profession, I will consider myself the luckiest people in the world.
   Being a professional youtuber or blogger is just as valid as any other, more traditional job!

No comments:

Post a Comment