Thursday, August 24, 2017

Charlottesville

Image result for charlottesville protest Originally, I wasn’t going to address the Charlottesville fiasco, but since the drama surrounding it has died down, I decided to write about it anyway. I don’t like to engage in political drama too much, because I fear I’d become repetitive quite fast, but this is something I’m quite passionate about, so I’m going to make an exception.
After reading about everything surrounding the white nationalists and their actions during that event, there’s only one reaction appropriate, and that’s to be appalled by the actions of these people. When looking at pictures posted on news sites all around the world wide web, you could think they were taken in the 1950’s (besides the color and the clothes of course).
When first reading about the first news regarding the incidents, I didn’t even know how to react. Anger was my second reaction, but the first one was pure shock. This is 2017, I would have thought we had gotten further than this. The acts of violence is one thing, but the fact that both swastikas and the confederate flag were spotted amongst these white supremacists is a whole other. In Germany, showing a swastika is punishable by fine or prison, but these americans don’t have the same regard and respect for their country’s historical foupas.
This is yet another thing that proves that racism is still alive and well, that some people still wish for segregation and honestly believe that they should be treated better, because they are white, and that they have the right to treat others the way they want to, just because of the color of their skin.
Related image Sadly, the difficulties of racism is only talked about in media whenever a catastrophe like this one occurs. During other times of the year, when our media doesn’t flare with excitement over the suffering of other people, no one discusses racism or the questions that should be raised along with it.
We should dare to discuss the matters important to us, whatever is going on in the world at the moment. People barely dare to utter their opinions anymore, which doesn’t help the issue. I encourage all of you to share your opinion, spread positivity and always empower those who need it the most!
My thoughts go out to everyone hurt in Charlottesville, their family and friends. I hope the best for all of those suffering the effects of racism and prejudice, and despite the horrors in Charlottesville I will always hope that humanity will become better and more considerate of their fellow humans.
Remember, darkness can only be fought with light.

No comments:

Post a Comment