Friday, August 18, 2017

When Violence Reaches Home

I've written about violence before, talked about the horrific acts happening around all the world, but today is different. Violence is different when it happens so close to your home. I was lucky; I'm still at my parent's house, far away from the town.
In my town, Åbo, there was an attack. Eight people were stabbed, two people have already passed. The people close to me were lucky; they weren't harmed. But I still feel shook.
This is my second home. This is where I can always feel safe, this is where I meet people who know me on the street, no matter what time I decide to go outside. This is where I study, this is where most of my friends are, the friends I've started to view as kind of a second little family. This is not a place I expect to be violent. This is not a place where I need to feel scared or vulnerable. This is where I live. This is my home.
At times like these, you need to think about things in a new light. In a world when you don't feel safe, nothing is more important than making the people around you feel more safe. Take care of each other, see to it that you and the people around you are safe, and make sure that they know how much you care about them.

To all of the people suffering from the violence that transpired today, I hope all of you find the strenght to move forward, and that you stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment