Sunday, November 5, 2017

I'm an Addict

   I'm an addict. And before you say anything, I am well aware that there are worse addictions out there. It's not like I'm addicted to meth, cocaine or even cigarettes. But these are, however addictions that actually do affect my daily life.
   I'm addicted to sugar. The kind of sugar doesn't really matter. Chocolates, fruit, juice... Everything containing something sweet is my personal drug of choice. I have, however, gotten better at eating fruits and drinking juice instead of having candy (although I still always have a bag nearby, said bag now lasts me days, even if I share with my boyfriend), because I tend to eat a few pieces when I study. I had a much worse time a few years ago, when a whole chocolate bar easily could disappear in one night.
   I'm also addicted to my phone, which comes as no surprise to you (basically everone who is on social media is a bit addicted to it). I always have it with me (even if I'm leaving the apartment to go get my mail). I have started thinking about my phone as a portable safe zone, and if I don't have it on me/near me, I feel very strangely unsafe. I also love the convenience of always having your phone. Bored? Look at cats on YouTube. Waiting for someone? Text them in seconds to know where they are. Can't find your way home? Just use an app. But despite my clear addiction to my phone, it's a comfort to know that I'm not alone in this. Most people under 25 are more or less addicted to their portable screens, and why wouldn't we be? We, literally, have the means to explore the entire world in our pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment