Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Just A Thought

Bildresultat för idea
I was recently asked by someone close to me (who knows that I write a lot, not only for the public and also things that only I get to read, and that I work a lot creatively in general) where I get my ideas. This was really eye-opening for me. I've never really thought about how I get my ideas, where they come from and when they appear, and getting asked that question made me see my thought process in a different light.
   I, like many others who write a lot and do many different things, have a lot of things going on in my head. I often describe it as "I can't think of only one thing at a time", meaning my thoughts jump so quickly from place to place that sometimes even I can't keep up and need to rewind through the thought process to figure out how I came to the conclusion that I did. This does wonders for me creatively, since it's very easy to get ideas, but it becomes troubling in many everyday situations. I often get "trapped" inside my thoughts, thinking about something, completely unaware of my surroundings. Another common problem is overthinking, where I analyse every single outcome of everything that I do, often resulting in not daring to do anything at all.
   I realised that also I'm a very opinionated person in general. I read a lot of news, follow news channels on social media, getting new information in an almost unlimited amount, gaining new perspectives and finding out new things on hundreds of different topics every month. This sparks an internal discussion, often leading to the blog posts you see here.
Bildresultat för thinking cloud   I also dream some of the things I write, but those are mostly kept to myself. Some of the short stories I've posted on my previous blogs have origianlly been dreams, but other than that, they most of the time become poems.
   These three things lead to the fact that I almost never suffer from writer's block, which is a relief. The few times I've experienced it, have been so frustrating that I'm now eternally grateful for my gift of a messy mind. There is nothing as unforgiving as a blank sheet of paper in front of you.
   To the other creative minds reading this (because I know there are quite a few of you), I greatly encourage you to think about your own in and output of creative energy, and how you can gain a wider perspective on your writing or your art. Read the news, read new books, read poetry... Expand your mind and your horizon, it will increase the amount you create and the quality of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment