Friday, June 30, 2017

Listen

I never really realised how affected people can be by something so simple. I did something as simple as cut my hair, and people all around me, seemed to change their attitude about me. Strangers commented on Facebook in Blogger groups about how brave I was, but that’s not what touched me the most.
Since I cut my hair, people close to me shared things about feminism, and gender identity. I’ve never been so proud to listen to my friends, ever. Telling something as private as issues of sexism and gender identity is very brave, and takes a special kind of trust that nothing else takes.
The thing is, sexism is very much alive, even today. I myself have been hit on in the streets, been treated in different ways just because I’m a woman. I’ve had boys complain directly to me about how they can’t get a woman into their bed. Not into a relationship, just into bed. Directly to me, to a woman, as if I’m supposed to be magically okay with it. Let me assure you, it’s not in the least amount okay.
But that's not the thing that this post is about, even though sexism is one of the most important issues, one of the closest to my heart. This post is about the most important thing you can do as a friend or even as a human.
As long as I live, as long as I breathe, I will listen to everyone who tells me about these types of problems, these situations that make them uncomfortable or allows them to feel like they're less than they are. And I’ll do what I can to prevent them.
If someone tells you anything about them, or their experiences or thoughts, do what you can. Listen, give advice or whatever they need. But that’s the most important, the first step towards helping.
Listen. It can change some of the most important things to a person, change the way they see everything, make them feel they have another choice, making them feel like they’re being heard, cared for or even loved.
Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment