Monday, October 9, 2017

Women I Admire

Related image   Lilly Singh is a Canadian yotuber, whom I admire mostly because of two things: her ability to always be productive (something I really adore, mostly because I can't do that) and her constant positive attitude. She has done nothing but inspire me since day one. I love her ambition, and I know that she's actually worked for all her success, and think she deserves it!
   If I could be like only one person in the world, I would be like Lilly. Mostly because I envy her positive outlook on life, and because I wish I could be as motivated and make as positive of an influence on the world.
   I love her various projects, and I love her ability to go from absolute, total tomboy to a godess wearing high heels. I so envy her style and her makeup (though she doesn't do it herself), she is everything I want to be when I become her age.
   If I become half as successful, half as beautiful and half as intelligent as Lilly Singh at 29, I'll be a very, very lucky person.
   I was introduced to Lilly by my sister, several years ago when she was still new on youtube (Lilly, not my sister), and I have been following her since. As I follow along everything she does, from books and charity to videos, vlogs and music to designing her own lipstick, I never stop being amazed at how she approaches the different aspects of life, never once disappointing me. She's a feminist, a successful business woman and an amazing inspiration to me, and will continue to be for a long time.

Image result for linnea claeson   My second idol is the wellknown Swedish feminist Linnéa Claeson, known for her social media accounts where she handles sexism with humor and sarcasm, shining a light on the regular occurences of sexism, sexual assault and other feminist issues. I've been following her for almost a year now, and I have rarely been so inspired by a person. Her approach to sexist men is fresh and enlightening, I love her personality and everything about her just radiates strenght.
   So why do I admire her? She has the courage to stand up for what's right, to voice her opinion and speak for all of those who don't always dare to use their own voices. She tells women of all ages that no one has the right to talk down to them, to dictate what they can and can't do. She brings the message that it's okay to be yourself as a woman, no matter who you are, how old you are, where you live and how your society views women. You can wear what you want, be as loud as you want, wear as much makeup as you want, just do what you want.
   While working against sexism isn't actually unique, Linnéa brings a completely fresh approach, actually calling out the men sending sexist (and sometimes just outright gross and appaling) messages on social media, making the concept of sexism so much more open and viewable to everyone around her.
Image result for marie curie
   My last rolemodel, is Marie Curie. What's not to love about the first woman ever to win a Nobel Prize, and the first and only woman to win twice, a person who has literally discovered elements. An amazing beacon for female scientists all over the world, known for her amazing research and her accomplishments in science.
I've admired Curie since I found out about her existance (so since I was about 7). I've always wanted to be like her, she was the reason I was inspired to study something scientific from an early age and part of the reason I decided to apply to the university I'm currently attending. She'll always continue to be a huge inspiration to me, and I will always be grateful to her for leading me into the field on science.
(Photo credits; Marie Curie: Famous People, Marie Curie, Linnéa Claeson: Kvinna till Kvinna, Lilly Singh: Parade.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment